Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Twitter

I am a twitterer. Yes, I tweet. I know many tweets are rather trite. So why do I tweet?

Well, not everyone is tweeting about what they ate. I have found it to be a very useful way to find out what's happening in the world, or in specific subject areas that interest me. One often hears of some event via Twitter before email, news, television, or any other source. A quick question to followers gets an answer in minutes (sometimes), or you may be able to provide assistance to other people. I also follow people involved in tech and find it an excellent way to keep up to date with developments. Through selective following I also get links to reviews/discoveries on numerous subjects that interest me. It was trial and error at first, but you soon see which tweets are are pointless and simply unfollow the twit.

The trick is to follow people that are involved in areas that interest you. There are rather more librarians on Twitter than some of you imagine, and some of them have created lists. Lists are a way of following a chatter of librarians very easily.

One of the people I follow posts excellent links on a range of subjects. However he is a very prolific tweeter, and this can be annoying. Tweet after tweet by the same person. I also follow a number of authors and find their updates and questions fascinating - and yes, they ask us for advice, on Twitter.

No comments: